Well, I've toyed with the idea about starting a blog for some time. And now, I have a reason to start one--but more about that later. This story begins with a weekend in August...
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
(Ok, this has nothing to do with that weekend, but I'm sure a few of you understand.)
Adam and I were doing well in our respective jobs. Adam's job is fun, provides him chances to grow and learn, and--let's face it--enables him contribute to a really cool product. Me, I have my challenges with work, but I enjoy being the go-to girl for a particular project. Enter career change #1.
One day, my manager presented me with the opportunity to become a manager. I've never wanted to be a manager. I believe that a manager makes or breaks a job. Could I be a good manager? Well, after a full weekend of thinking and LOTS of conversations, I decided that I'd give it a shot for various reasons--of which, I'll spare you the details. So, on Monday, I became a manager.
The week went on as normal--until Friday morning. Enter career change #2.
I suspected for while that something may be in the works. But, I wasn't sure. Could it be?? On Friday morning, I took the biggest test of my life. Yes..."the test." I waited one minute...one minute 30 seconds...should I peek?...one minute 45 seconds...c'mon!!!....two minutes! I raced into the bathroom and saw the plus sign. My stomach jumped with joy, so much so that I jumped back in bed. Smiles, thoughts, plans, what ifs...conversations were filled with them all. But--we had to be sure. We decided to get through the day, and then go to the doctor on Saturday.
Oddly enough, we spent most of Friday apart. After work, I attended a work function, and he had made plans with a friend, so there wasn't much of a chance to talk. Even more strangely, Saturday was a lot like Friday. Adam had to take McKenzie to the vet in the morning, and the vet appointment was at the same time as our "confirmation appointment." He went one way, I went mine. After hearing the great news at the doctor, I shared the great news with Adam. We were excited, scared, unsure of the next steps, bursting to tell, and trying to focus on the many topics flying through our minds...how to tell, when to tell, names, dates, cribs, work...
But we didn't have much time to talk about all of these thoughts. I had work to do, and Adam was going to help his mom. So, we went our own ways...again. We wanted to celebrate our big news together. So we decided to go out for dinner. Where could we go to celebrate? The Space Needle? "Naw, it's Saturday--too busy". Our favorite italian place? "Naw, I don't feel like italian." Burgermaster? Perfect.
We celebrated the news by eating burgers, fries, and milkshakes on our couch and watching the Olympics.
So Baby Wilson, we may have started out on a strange foot, but we can't wait for your arrival. Bring on the next 8 months!
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment