Expectations can be challenging. They can prepare you for joy or set you up for disappointment. As first-time parents, we certainly had our share of expectations about our kids--we even picked out four possible names and thought about potential personality mixes when we were dating! Now, after Micah's first year, I've been thinking about my expectations and how he's met, exceeded, or changed them.
In terms of personality, we expected a mix of us both and he's certainly that. He's just like Shannon when he smiles and laughs, when he spontaneously loves being silly, when he dances to any music that turns on, and when he has that mischievous look in his eyes. And I see me in him when he runs around kicking and throwing any object in his path (especially balls), when he's experimenting with the new world around him (and trying to eat anything), and playing with my guitars (even though he's not supposed to).
Some of his behaviors have been such a blessing, well beyond what I expected. He's slept better than I thought babies did. He's met new people and been babysat by them mostly without any complaining. He's enjoyed all types of foods that even I don't like. He can communicate with us so well through pointing, nodding his head, using sign language, and making various noises (which we can actually distinguish--another exceeded expectation).
But, on the other hand, he's also "changed" some expectations (or maybe it was my hopes?). He can change moods and be cranky and stubborn faster than I expected, and he throws his head back in frustration without any awareness of banging his head on the floor, even at the smallest things. Where does this sudden change and temperament come from? I don't know, and I'm not sure we'll ever really know.
Expectations follow us our whole lives. But we can't conform to what everyone else wants. We can only live the life that we have and be who we are. My wish is that no matter what we expect of Micah and what he does, we always love him, and he knows that we do.
So what can we expect next? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment