Monday was filled with snorkeling and enjoying the beach. Adam got to experience snorkeling for the first time, and he even watched an eel swim under him. I was very glad to be out of the water for that part. The guys cooked BBQ chicken at the condo for dinner, while Andrea and I watched a humpback calf breech and play in the bay from our lanai!
On Tuesday, rain replaced the sunny weather, but we didn't let that stop us from exploring the island. We decided to drive to Hana. What a trip! The road twists and turns over 600 times and has over 50 one-lane bridges! Thankfully, the road had lots of scenic pulloffs and stops for coconut candy and homemade banana bread.



One of the stops was a black sand beach! Coincidently, Dan and Andrea were recognized by a family of Taiwanese travelers who watch the TV show they work for in Taiwan. This little meeting reminded Adam and I about our trip to Taiwan because admiring fans always recognized Dan and Andrea. The life of a star never takes a vacation.


Hana is a very small town made up of a few hotels, a beach, and a general store. To leave Hana, you're supposed to go back the same road you came in on; however, there is another road out. This road is even more dangerous because it usually gets washed out by rain, consists of blind-corner turns, is made of dirt, and is primarily one lane. The guys asked a fire fighter in town if the road was open, and he responded, "Well, no one has come back today." So, we traveled on the road past Hana and violated the rental car agreement for about 15 miles. We were all very excited to see paved roads again.
The rain continued on Wednesday, but we figured we were going to get wet whale watching anyway! As we pulled out of the harbor, we staged a few pictures (even though this is typically how I sightsee).

The whales didn't let the rain stop them from waving to us! We saw a calf breeching, several other humpback pairs coming up for air, and a close encounter with a trio--a mom, her calf, and their escort!



Because Wednesday night was our last night with Dan and Andrea, we planned to attend a luau; however, it was cancelled due to the weather. Instead, we headed off to Fred's--our favorite Mexican restaurant with yummy chips and salsa!
1 comment:
You're speedy! I checked your blog awhile ago and now here's two more posts! GREAT photos! The lava/waves ones and the whale ones! Nice job clicking the camera! I was so caught up thinking about hotter weather and getting away from snow and cold rain in my last comment that I forgot to say how cool I thought the pics were of the guys jumping and walking on clouds!!!
Post a Comment