Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Micah's new skills

Our travels brought us souvenirs that we didn't expect...colds all around. Adam was the first to come down with it, and he passed it to Micah. Micah then passed it to me. Thankfully, either Adam or I felt fine when the other didn't, so we could take turns with Micah, whose cold turned into bronchitis. This was his most "serious" illness yet--and thankfully, it was easily cured with antibiotics. Micah did great on the medicine, so much so that he would remind me that he needed it!

After being stuck in the house for a good week and a half, I started finding new ways to entertain myself. Rotating clothes out of Micah's closet is always a good pass time. I found these pajamas that were labeled as his size, but he hadn't wore them yet. I have since learned that there are "skinny" pajamas and "loose" pajamas. After squeezing him into these pajamas, I didn't have the heart to take them off right away. So naturally, I took pictures of him.

Ok, so "sausage look-alike" isn't really a skill, but the next three stories are.

On the trip, we got Micah a Magna-Doodle, which he loves playing with. When we got back and found ourselves stuck inside, we tried out crayons to see how he'd take to them. Untrue to his Micah form, where an activity keeps his attention for maybe 10 minutes, Micah spent 45 minutes enjoying his first "coloring" experience. This is definitely an activity that we'll continue years to come!

Coloring may be deemed a more useful skill than this next one, but it was the next skill that brought a huge smile to my face.

When we're sick, Adam and I drink a lot of hot beverages in mugs. At dinner one night, Adam had poured himself a hot drink in my Yoda mug. This particular mug has a picture of Yoda on it taken from the movie, "The Empire Strikes Back." We started eating dinner and all of a sudden, Micah points at the mug and said, "O-da." Yes, our little guy recognized Yoda. YODA!

Now, he's always been quite fond of the cardboard cutout that I have of Yoda. Micah has wrestled, danced, and kissed Yoda. But lately, Micah has been improving his "O-da" skills even more!

Adam has a green flannel work shirt that he wears when he does yardwork in the fall. Rather than hanging it up wet, we leave it out to dry on one of our chairs. Micah catches sight of it, points to it, and says, "O-da!" So we put it on him, and he walks into the other room to play with Yoda, the cardboard cutout.

Here's a picture of our young padawan and his Jedi master.

1 comment:

KathyB. said...

So cute, Micah, not Yoda.Isn't it fun to watch him grow and show his personality more and more?

I am glad to read you are all on the mend.